BOX07

Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling

Our inaugural Dry Riesling | $60

The madness of harvest was in full swing, but at the end of one autumn day, vineyard manager Lacey Lybeck and winemaker Ali Mayfield set out to explore for our Sagemoor project. As they walked, Ali explained her winemaking perspective and process to Lacey. Lacey profiled the flavors of our five vineyards to Ali.

They were eating grapes vine by vine in Bacchus determining flavor notes in specific spots. Let’s pick half this row, one said. And let’s pick the crest of that hill, said the other. Together, they carved out their dry Riesling collaboration. Carving Blocks was born.

Time Remaining

Offering Expired

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES

  • 2016

    Carving Blocks | Dry Riesling
    Sagemoor

Vintage Story

“My job is to raise the best grapes possible for other people’s projects,” says Lacey. “But the harvest of 2016 was so abundant we had ample grapes to keep for ourselves. Cherry-picking the vineyards for our own project… It was fun!”

“It was so incredible to field sample with Lacey and find the clusters that built this wine,” Ali tells us. “The great Rieslings of the world are not allowed to get super ripe, and we were harvesting with a singularly-focused dry style in mind.”

From Lacey: “In the vineyard, if we tasted hints of stone fruit in our Riesling grapes, we harvested immediately. The stone-fruit stage of ripeness can offer incredible floral aromas in the final product. Once the stone fruit ripens to more peachy, you make a different wine altogether.”

We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

 

Ali’s experience with Riesling is the final touch that tilts this bottling to a global style. Lacey brings a strong Washington perspective to the table, “Ali opened my eyes to German influences on our home soil. She took me a step out of my ‘home palate’. Thanks, Ali!”

The final blend is 70% from two blocks in Bacchus growing German clones (Geisenheim 198 and Neustedt 90 for you clone geeks). The other 30% is special old vine Riesling (1983 plantings) in Gamache Vineyard which brings incredible freshness and acid. Ali’s crew immediately destemmed all grapes as they came in to maintain varietal purity.

Final answer? The ambrosial aromatics are alive and well. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish. We absolutely love Riesling at Sagemoor. This racy, aromatic bottle is one reason why.

details

BOTTLE NOTES

WINERY
Wines of Sagemoor

WINEMAKER
Ali Mayfield, The Walls

APPELLATION
Columbia Valley

VINEYARDS
Bacchus, Gamache

BLEND
100% Riesling

ALCOHOL
13.05%

PRODUCTION NOTES

Harvest Date
Bacchus Riesling, Sept 19
Gamache Riesling, Oct 28

TASTING NOTES

Ambrosial aromatics are well-accounted for here. Medium-bodied palate is rich with pear, white peach, and limestone minerals. Bright and balanced acidity makes for a very clean finish.

ACCOLADES